Dan, a member of the National Speakers Association, has given keynote speeches and presentations to audiences around the country on the topics of depression, anxiety, and stress. He tells a powerful story of his own struggles with depression, learning to manage it, dealing with the stigma surrounding mental illness, and helping others to overcome it. Learn more about Dan's background on his bio webpage.
Recent Praise -
"Dan's presentation was certainly a highlight of the session. At Harvard Law School, we work to tailor our health and wellness programs so that the content is relatable to students. The fact that Mr. Lukasik is a practicing attorney who can speak personally and with authority about the unique struggles of the mental health in the legal profession was well received. The feedback was remarkable, so much so that we would like to invite Dan back to present during a session at HLS for the ABA's Mental Health Day in March." Lakshmi Clark, Director of Student Affairs, Harvard Law School.
"Dan really opened a lot of eyes to this issue, and we’re taking steps to implement policies to help our lawyers based on his recommendations. We are a better firm for it." Mike Maxwell, partner, Hodgson Russ LLP
"It's so important that law schools, bar associations, law firms, and other legal employers hear from speakers like Dan who have come out and can provide guidance to other students and lawyers who are considering coming out - as well as partners, human resource managers, and others who are responsible for leading the way to better understanding and support on this issue. Dan is a very charismatic speaker who not only has lived experience with mental illness but has also made it his mission to educate others about why and how to accommodate and support other lawyers with depression." Lewis Bossing, Senior Staff Attorney, Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, Washington, D.C.
"Dan presented his program "Stress, Anxiety, and Depression" to a large group at our firm. It had a big impact. Dan really opened a lot of eyes to this issue, and we’re taking steps to implement policies to help our lawyers based on his recommendations. We are a better firm for it." Michael Maxwell, Partner, Hodgson Russ
"You presentation at the Louisiana State Bar CLE was compelling, effective, and served to significantly raise awareness and reduce stigma in such a way that truly encourages those who may be suffering to reach out and obtain effective help. As such, I wholeheartedly encourage all corners of our profession such as law schools, bar associations, disciplinary counsel, and judicial branches to host you as a presenter on the topic of depression in the legal profession." Buddy Stockwell, Executive Director, Louisiana Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program, Inc.
"Dan gave a powerful, well-documented presentation about depression and other mental health issues for lawyers. The discussion he facilitated with management helped us plan our firm's response to this crisis in our profession." Mary Kelkenberg, Director of Attorney Talent Management, Hodgson Russ, LLP
"This is the first time JLAP has brought an expert in to speak at such an event. You did not disappoint, to say the least. From my vantage point, I could see that your audience was rapt. You got everyone's attention quickly. Then by bringing others in to help with the message through your beautiful documentary, "A Terrible Melancholy: Depression in the Legal Profession," they heard from legal professionals from students to judges. Then you brought it home with your very personal story. Well done!" Sarah Cearley, Ph.D., Executive Director, Arkansas Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program.
"Your presentation was sincere, credible and VERY well received. You connected with the audience in ways that few presenters have been able to do. This was particularly impressive given the sensitivity of the topic. Showing part of your documentary, "A Terrible Melancholy," was icing on the cake." Steven V. Modica, Esq., Past President, Monroe County Bar Association.
Here's a short list of some upcoming events and past venues Dan has spoken at:
- State Bar of Rhode Island, Providence, RI
- State Bar of Delaware, Wilmington, RI
- PCI Conference, Boston
- Belluck Fox, LLP, NYC, NY
- Hodgson Russ LLP, Buffalo, NY
- Hill Ward Henderson, Tampa, Fla
- Yale Law School - New Haven Connecticut
- Capital University Law School - Columbus, Ohio
- Roger Williams School of Law - Providence, Rhode Island
- Delaware North, Inc.
- Praxair, Inc.
- American Psychiatric Association, National Convention, Philadelphia
- American Association of Justice - National Convention, New York City
- Harvard Law School - Boston, Massachusetts
- The Robert H. Jackson Center - Jamestown, New York
- Commission on Lawyers Assistance Program, National Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana
- American Bar Association - National Convention, Washington, D.C.
- Louisiana State Bar Association, State Convention - New Orleans, LA
- Dave Nee Foundation Annual Gala - New York City
- Cleveland Bar Association CLE - Cleveland, Ohio
- Arkansas CLE, Fayetteville, Ak, University of Arkansas School of Law
- Cincinnati Bar Association CLE - Cincinnati, Ohio
- Erie County District Attorney's Office, Buffalo, New York
- D.C. Bar Association CLE - Washington, D.C.
- Mental Health Association, Buffalo, New York
- Onondaga Bar Association CLE - Syracuse, New York
- American Trial Lawyers Association Convention - Miami, Florida
- Ontario Bar Association LAP - Toronto, Canada
- Monroe County Bar Association CLE, New York
- American Bar Association, Disability Law Division, Washington, D.C.
- Daemen College - Buffalo, New York
- Compeer, Inc. - Annual gala - Buffalo, New York
- Mental Health Association of Erie County, Buffalo, New York
- Syracuse University Law School - Syracuse, New York
- Touro College of Law - New York City
- University at Buffalo School of Law - Buffalo, New York
- New York Administrative Law Judges' conference - New York City
- Dalhousie University School of Law - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Monroe County Bar Association CLE, Rochester, New York
- Western New York Woman's Bar Association - Buffalo, New York