Dan has presented CLE accredited programs throughout the United States over the past ten years. He is a national expert and spokesman on the topic of mental health in the legal profession.
His talks are timely in light of the epidemic levels of poor attorney mental health and well-being recently announced.
A 2016 landmark study of approximately 15,000 practicing attorneys found that 28 percent, 19 percent, and 23 percent are struggling with some form of depression, anxiety, and stress, respectively. Additionally, between 21 and 36 percent qualify as problem drinkers. These rates are three to four times higher than the general population.
Dan brings a great deal of credibility to this topic. As a former 30-year litigator, he knows how difficult the practice of law can be. But he also knows the unique challenges attorneys with mental health issues face because he, himself, was diagnosed with depression and anxiety fifteen years ago while the managing partner of his firm.
"Your CLE presentation was compelling, effective, and served to raise awareness significantly."
- Buddy Stockwell, Executive Director, Louisiana Lawyers Assistance Program
"Dan is a very charismatic speaker who not only has lived experience with mental illness but has also made it his mission to educate others about why and how to accommodate and support other lawyers with depression.”
- Lewis Bossing, Senior Staff Attorney, The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, Washington, D.C.
"Your CLE presentation was sincere, credible and VERY well received. You connected with the audience in ways that few presenters have been able to do."
- Steve Modica, Bar President, Monroe County Bar Association
Below is a list of some of the bar associations Dan has presented at:
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- DC Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Rhode Island State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Arkansas State Bar Association
- Cleveland Bar Association
- The Robert H. Jackson Center
- American Bar Association
- Toronto Bar Association
- American Association of Justice
Dan is the Executive Director of the original 30-minute documentary, "A Terrible Melancholy: Depression in the Legal Profession" and the creator of the website, Lawyerswithdepression.com., the first website of its kind in the United States.
His work has appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The National Law Journal, ABA Journal, Bloomberg Law, Law360, on CNN, and several other national and international media outlets.